National Pan-Hellenic Council
The National Pan-Hellenic Council, Incorporated is currently composed of nine International Greek letter Fraternities and Sororities: Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc., Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc., Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc., Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc., Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc., and Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc., and Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc. NPHC has worked to promote interaction through forums, meetings and other mediums for the exchange of information and engages in cooperative programming and initiatives through various activities and functions.
On May 10, 1930, on the campus of Howard University, in Washington DC, the National Pan-Hellenic Council formed as a permanent organization with the following charter members: Omega Psi Phi and Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternities, and Alpha Kappa Alpha, Delta Sigma Theta, and Zeta Phi Beta Sororities. In 1931, Alpha Phi Alpha and Phi Beta Sigma Fraternities joined the Council. Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority joined in 1937 and Iota Phi Theta Fraternity completed the list of member organizations in 1997.
The stated purpose and mission of the organization in 1930 was “Unanimity of thought and action as far as possible in the conduct of Greek letter collegiate fraternities and sororities, and to consider problems of mutual interest to its member organizations.” Early in 1937, the organization was incorporated under the laws of the State of Illinois and became known as “The National Pan-Hellenic Council, Incorporated.”
On February 9, 2017, in the city of Stockbridge, Georgia, the originally formed as the South Metro Alumni National Pan-Hellenic Council was formed as a permanent organization with the following charter members: Alpha Phi Alpha, Omega Psi Phi and Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternities, and Alpha Kappa Alpha, Zeta Phi Beta and Sigma Gamma Rho Sororities. Delta Sigma Theta and Phi Beta Sigma later joined the council in 2018. The council later changed its name to the National Pan-Hellenic Council of Clayton-Henry March 2019 and incorporated as a 501(c)(3) public educational charity.
The purpose of the National Pan-Hellenic Council of Clayton-Henry is to foster cooperation among its member organizations, focusing on matters of mutual concern, working together to improve the greater South Metro community development and to use its collective influence to promote the general welfare of men, women, and children in the greater South Metro Atlanta geographic area.
The National Pan-Hellenic Council of Clayton-Henry participates in social welfare activities to promote the general well being of the community in which it exists, including but not limited to, providing educational scholarships, encouraging civic engagement, promoting health and promoting personal development and growth.
Council service areas include but are not limited to: Jonesboro, Morrow, Riverdale, Lake City, Forest Park, Lovejoy, McDonough, Stockbridge, Conyers, Fayetteville, Jackson and Griffin cities of Butts, Clayton, Henry, Fayette, Rockdale, and Spaulding Counties in Georgia.